20080815

December 13, 2007

An Intern's Insight

“In every community there is work to be done. In every nation, there are wounds to heal. In every heart there is the power to do it.” –Marianne Williamson
My name is Divya Reddy and I am a graduate student at the University of South Carolina completing my Masters in Public Health. I have had the pleasure of interning with the New Morning Foundation’s TellThem! network starting in July 2007. Today is my last day. As I prepare for graduation, I look back on my work experience and graciously smile. My experience at the Foundation has been a wonderful eye opener. It has truly given me an insider perspective on the day to day responsibilities of a grassroots organization. It has made me realize what the word ‘grassroots’ means. We work to achieve many of the same goals as other organizations- improving the lives in South Carolina. The theme that ties it all together is that knowledge is power. We want to fight to reduce teen pregnancies in South Carolina and fight for reproductive rights. The state of South Carolina faces many disparities and this forces us to ask the question- how can we make a difference? With the teen pregnancy rate higher than the national average, we must approach the problem with a new plan. Let’s break the cycle of generational teen pregnancies. It’s time to stop turning a blind eye to a problem that needs much attention. Let’s educate the children, teens, and parents through comprehensive sexual education. Let’s partner with schools, communities, and other affiliated organizations. Let’s empower people with factual information to make the best decisions. Let’s spread the word! I type these words with fervor and conviction. My goal is not to persuade you but to reiterate what I have learned. Making a difference starts at the grassroots level. This all takes dedication and energy and starts with a few people who are passionate enough to pursue a cause. I have seen the progress and goals we have accomplished in a short period of time. The strides we make mean that there is more community awareness and involvement. And, I am proud to have worked with people who have the drive and compassion to make a difference. I have enjoyed being part of the New Morning Foundation team and will always take this experience and apply it to my future endeavors

No comments: